Saturday, November 25, 2006

New Zealand, the land of the kiwis, almost the complete opposite side of the world. Somehow, this side is more peaceful :)
I landed in Auckland airport on November 19th. After being extensively interrogated and checked if I carry food or plants of any kind with me, I was free to go. I looked for the buss to the city and booom!! It cost 15$!!! to get you in proportion, I paid 4$ for 12 hours cross country VIP night buss in thailand.... guess I'll have to get used to it.



on the flight I met 3 israelis: Nimrod, Adi and Keren. They plan on traveling together and seem confused and unsettled about their trip. I shared a room and fixed mills with them. On the first 3 days, I looked for a car and traveled the city. Auckland reminds me of Manhattan though it's cleaner and less crowded.


downtown Auckland


Mt Eden view - the most active volcano in NZ

on the fourth day we took a buss to the bay of islands, which is north to Auckland. The buss picked us up at the backpacker (= guesthouse) and stopped at every touristic attraction on the way: kauri trees forest (some of the trees are 2000 years old!!), hokie pokie ice cream brake, waterfalls and viewpoints.


Northland landscape


unbelievable view on the way to the bay of islands


a huge log next to the kauri tree museum - estimated to be 2500 year old

the bay of islands was awesome! you've got all the marine attractions imaginable in one beautiful bay. I kayaked for 5 hours between the islands and learned three important things:
1. I like islands very much
2. Never count on waves to help you get back to land(!!)
3. Never trust a sunscreen you bought in a market in Thailand - I got burned worst then ever!!
besides kayaking, I had a bicycle trip and met many lovely people at the backpacker.

the bay of islands




when we arrived back to Auckland, the 3 israelis decided to break up. After long and heavy conversations, I agreed to buy a car and travel with the two girls (Adi and Keren).

We bought a car today! it happened faster then I expected and I'm happy for it.
the car is 1990 station wagon subaru legacy. It has 2.2L engine and 4WD. The back sits can fold, providing a larg space - big enough to sleep in it!
now I have to get used to driving on the "wrong side" - they drive on the left.


Our car - you can see how tanned I got on the last week :)

I'll be traveling to the bay of plenty for the hot water beaches and then head south.

No comments: